Residents in North America enjoy free membership to the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS), with no annual dues or application fees.
As a resident member, you are entitled to AANS’ vast array of benefits and specific educational programs; tailored exclusively for your neurosurgical development. Below is a listing of benefits that might be of particular interest to you.
Neurosurgical Publications and Educational Courses
- Residents in North America receive a complimentary online subscription to the Journal of Neurosurgery through AANS
- Neurosurgical Focus — A free online journal and free CME for members only that will be tracked in member records for access by their training programs
- Member discounts on live educational courses
- Complimentary online subscription to AANS Neurosurgeon
Online Benefits – Free to Residents
- Access to AANS online courses and educational materials
- AANS Online Membership Directory — free listing and free access through www.MyAANS.org
- Complimentary subscription to the AANS online newsletter, AANS E-News
- AANS Online Career Center — This job search and placement tool can help you find open neurosurgical positions around the country
AANS Annual Scientific Meeting
The AANS Annual Scientific Meeting registration rate is reduced for neurosurgical residents in North America. Registration includes:
- Complimentary Breakfast Seminars and Practical Clinics through the AANS Marshals Program
- Neurosurgical Top Gun Competition — A three-day competition for residents, fellows and medical students attending the AANS Annual Scientific Meeting
- Young Neurosurgeons Research Forum
- Admission to the Donald O. Quest Award ceremony for Best Young Neurosurgeon Abstracts
- Admission to the Osler Lecture for Medical Students
2016 Advanced Neurosurgical Resident Education/Training Courses
The Neurosurgical Education and Research Foundation (NREF) in cooperation with the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) continues to offer FREE courses to neurosurgical residents thanks to the collaborative efforts of NREF and our valued corporate supporters to provide advanced resident educational training in topic areas not always covered within neurosurgical residency. The Residency Program Directors/Residency Coordinators are notified of these resident course opportunities approximately sixteen weeks in advance of each course and are asked to nominate one resident and one alternate from their program to attend each course, based upon specified course criteria.
View the Online Recordings of the AANS/NREF Resident Education Courses on the NREF Website.
2016 Resident Courses:
- Peripheral Nerve and Spinal Deformity for Residents – Course Co-Directors, Allan J. Belzberg, MD, FAANS, Robert F. Heary, MD, FAANS and Justin S. Smith, MD, PhD, FAANS-Vista Lab, Baltimore, MD –April 1-3, 2016
- Fellows Course in Endovascular Techniques – Course Co-Directors, Adam S. Arthur, MD, MPH, FAANS, FACS; Erol Veznedaroglu, MD, FAANS and Alex Berenstein, MD – Memphis, TN (in collaboration with SNIS and SVIN) – October 7-9, 2016
- Endovascular and Vascular Techniques for Residents – Course Co-Directors, Adam S. Arthur, MD, MPH, FACS, FAANS, Michael T. Lawton, MD, FAANS and Erol Veznedaroglu, MD, FAANS – Memphis, TN – October 20-22, 2016
- Fundamentals in Spinal Surgery – Course Co-Directors, Jack Knightly, MD, FAANS, FACS and Praveen V. Mummaneni, MD, FAANS – MITIE Lab, Houston, TX – Nov 10-12, 2016
- Stereotactic and Functional Hands-on Neurosurgery Workshop, Course Director, Aviva Abosch, MD, FAANS, University of CO, Aurora, CO, November 3-6, 2016
- Skull Base for Senior Residents – Course Director, Jon H. Robertson, MD, FAANS– Memphis, TN, November 4-6, 2016
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Residents – Course Co-Directors, Jason Sheehan, MD, FAANS and John Suh, MD – University of Pittsburgh, June 9-11, 2017 (in collaboration with ASTRO)
03.25.16 Subject to change
For more information please contact the AANS Education Department, or Joni Shulman, at 847.378.0558 or email@example.com.
Companies who participate in AANS’ Pinnacle Partners in Neurosurgery program are also involved with the resident courses. If you, or your company, are interested in additional information on these courses, please contact Joni L. Shulman, AANS Associate Executive Director, Education & Meetings, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847.378.0558.